Thursday, February 18, 2010

A so so day

Im typing from a public computer at an internet cafe... i´m still keeping my fingers crossed that the computer repair store will be able to help me squeeze another week or so out of my laptop! in the meantime, i apologize for grammatical errors and mispellings... this keyboard is full of spanish symbols so typing is difficult!!

So I learned something about myself today... I prefer the controlled environment of the operating room to than delivering babies in the delivery room at least here in the DR. There is something really comforting to me about having a patient draped, semi sterile (we still have flies in the operating room here), and just focus on incision in front of me. I´m not sure whether this tells me anything about my future in obgyn (will i be specializing in gyn surgeries in my future??) or whether it just tells me something about what my future would be like if I practiced here in the DR.

I don´t mean to sound negative- I´m learning tons and everyone that i am working with is awesome and super helpful. Everyone I work with are incredibly skilled surgeons and clinicians. Today all the language and cultural barriers just got to me a bit. There were a few empty beds today so the cleaning staff decided to wash down the floors. I guess it´s great that they washed the floors down after being coated in blood and stool and other fluids since I got there... but the way that they wash the floors down is by covering it with several inches of soapy water that they sweep across the floor and let air dry. So I spent the day wading through this soapy dirty water with patients walking barefoot through it as I helped walk them to the delivery room. Something about the standing water just was too much for me... I couldn´t take it. I know I sound like a bit of a wimp but my reaction to the "cleaning" was a visceral feeling that I couldn´t overcome- I couldn´t wait to leave work. i´m sure that part of my reaction is due to the fact that I´m working in another country and another language so i´m still adapting... some days will be tougher than others and it´s hard to predict what will set me off one way or the other.

Oh well... tomorrow is another day. And in one week David will be here,,,, yayyy!!

No comments: