Wednesday, January 24, 2007

First CPCP

Today was a crazy busy day: leader in small group discussion, class (crazy biochem), 2 min lunch, drive to metro, CPCP until 5ish, back home, quick dinner, and then off to my healer's art elective until 9:30. By the time I got back home (and started writing this) it was past 10pm! Despite how busy today was (no checking the gossip columns every 5 mins today), it was one of my best days. Plus, I'm sure that looking back at today a week from now I will chuckle to myself about how "busy" I thought I was this week. Med school is constantly re-defining me: what I think is "busy", what I think it is possible for me to learn and understand... they change on a daily basis. Today was still a great day though and I hope that no matter how many times I "redefine" myself that I always find time to appreciate a good day.

I wasn't sure what to expect at a CPCP rotation at Metro. Metro, being the hospital that serves inner city Cleveland, sees the most diverse range of patients. Would people with GSWs walk into the internal medicine clinic? Haha. Needless to say, I was very excited about starting my rotation there. Although I didn't get to meet my preceptor, the person that I am "officially" supposed to follow all day, I shadowed another doctor and numerous other doctors welcomed me. I was really impressed by how everyone wanted to meet me and how welcomed I felt. For the first time as a med student, I didn't feel like I was a burden the whole time. I loved it!

No comments: