Saturday, February 24, 2007

The end of Block 3: Food to Fuel!

First things first: an apology for not posting for more than a month! I got so involved in studying, I didn't even realize that so much time has gone by. How is it almost March?

The block 3 exam went well and I felt very well prepared. It took a lot of work to start feeling prepared though. 2 weeks before I started panicking when I realized I only had 14 days left to study... in college I wouldn't even start studying then! Hahaha. Again, med school is constantly re-defining my norms. Although I studied longer and more intensely for this exam than I had for any other in my life, I got used to studying and adapted to my bookworm lifestyle the past few months. What came next I was not prepared for... BLOCK 4!

We finished Block 3 on Friday afternoon. I celebrated with friends at Benihana (yumsters!), then treated myself to a massage and haircut at Aveda to de-stress (courtesy of a gift certificate from David), took a nap at home, and then went out to dinner with friends for Korean food downtown. Before I go any further I would like to note that the massage and haircut were desperately needed- I left that salon human again after all those weeks of studying; it felt nice. :) Saturday was a busy day of catching up on emails, phone calls, and errands (food! clean the apt!); David and I treated ourselves to a fancy dinner at Fire restaurant in Cleveland that night. It was so nice to go on a date and dress up! And then came Sunday... the realization that not only did Block 4 start but also that we had hours of reading and assignments due on Monday. Yes Monday, the first day of classes after our exam. My soul rebelled against learning and I only did an hours worth of work and then watched the Oscars with friends.

Although the Oscars were a great way to spend my Sunday evening (after all, wasn't this weekend my one "free" weekend from work), I realized how much work I could have (should have?) done over the weekend when I arrived at school on Monday. ESVs, EDVs, cardiac output, LV dilations... so many new words all on the first day. There would be no easing into the new block today! And no time to fully recover from studying for all those weeks before. Instead, it was me and cardiac physiology (+ pharmacology) on a rough Monday. I have a feeling this will, yet again, be a time where I re-define how hard I can work. As my Mamacita told me on the phone a few minutes ago: "this isn't your first and this won't be the last time you have ups& downs in med school."

No comments: