Thursday, March 04, 2010

"Bonnie"

I met an incredible person today in my hostel. She was a 72 year old woman who is here as a Peace Corps volunteer. She shared with me her story and I hope to share it with you too. I learned so much from her. So many of the lessons I have learned here in my time abroad have been from simple conversations with new friends. I am so grateful for these discussions.

This woman worked as a nurse and administrator for most of her life. After retiring, she continued her public health interest in graduate school. Unfortunately, her husband passed away. She told me that she has had a very fulfilling life and she felt that she had to give back somehow to show her gratitude so she signed up for the Peace Corps, a 27 month obligation. She is working in a small village close to the border of Haiti where she has at most 2-4 hrs of electricity, no running water, but occasionally has access to a latrine. Her description of her everyday life (using a can of water carried from a well a long walk away to take a shower, burning trash when it piled up, spending time with locals empowering them with information about their health) was humbling. I had to ask her- how could she do it? How did she have the courage to do this at any age, let alone at an age when most people would rather not have any more challenges in their life? She told me that things were tough sometimes (she is in the capital because she has come down with dengue fever for the second time in the past month), but she has learned how to be less complacent and how to enjoy simple joy more (a local saving an orange for her because he remembered she loved them). Wow- what a cool gutsy woman.

My experience here in the DR has been challenging but for reasons very different than hers. I have not been woken up at night with a rat biting my fingers like she has, but I did share with her some of the stories I have shared with you about my medical experience here. I was proud that I could contribute a story or two who I got to know today and really admire.

No comments: