Sunday, August 20, 2006

One block down!

So my first block of medical school is completed... horray! :) We had SSEQs on Thursday (Summary synthesis essay questions) and a CAT multiple choice exam (cumulative achievement test) on Friday that has questions similar to the National Board Exam so we can track our progress in relation to the rest of the class and the rest of the nation. I was a little concerned about my first exam in medical school, but I think it went well. Just like at Smith, no matter how much work you do to prepare for an exam, there are always a bunch of crazys who try to out-do you with the amount of work they do. I felt pretty confident going into the exam and am happy that I found a good way to study by the end of this block.

So this weekend is my last really guilty-free lazy weekend. On Monday we start the next block and it looks tough! Tons of work and the pace looks slightly insane. I hope that I remember to enjoy things as much as possible and to stay excited about it all. I don't want to lose enthusiasm for the material or be a complainer; remember, this is such a gift to be here! So hang in there and do the best that you can! :)

I went for a run today and it felt so great. Like my swim coach would always remind me, "If we perform well on the days that we don't feel great, think of the things that we can do when we feel good." During my cooldown I had one of those endorphin-inspired moments of being grateful: for my new life, my new neighborhood, my new friends, my family, for everything falling into place. I feel really lucky and hope that I can remember feeling this way when the tough times that inevitably await me arrive.

BTW, shout out my cousin Ola.... it was great talking to you. I'm so proud of you and everything that you are doing. I'm especially proud/excited that Steven has a blog that I can use to stalk your adventures. Love you!

No comments: