Thursday, March 29, 2007

Oh the power of the white coat

I had two similar situations occur in the past two days and reacted to them very differently. On my walk back from Walgreens one day, a unkempt male approached me with a loud rude voice. Because I was by myself and in a not so safe area (walking, too!), I thought it would be best to ignore him and keep walking. Sure, he could have been harmless but I sure wasn't going to take the chance while I was by myself.

During my weekly rotation at Metro Hospital in inner city Cleveland, a similar situation occurred. I was doing my usual sprinting around the hospital when someone approached me in a similar way. "'Scuse me." This time, however, I stopped, approached, and listened. It's really unbelievable how in two similar situations, I can have such different responses. Once I put my white coat on I feel that I have a responsibility to turn, approach, and listen.

No comments: