Saturday, November 04, 2006

Exam on Friday :/

This week we had clinical immersion week and I got the opportunity to rotate in gynecological oncology. I spoke with a patient with ovarian cancer, saw a gruesome case of ovarian cancer in the OR, and then analyzed specimens for malignancies in the frozen specimen room for pathology. This was a great week for me. It was so important for me to take a step back from my studies and see just how much I had learned this block and how it really does apply to real patients. And as nerdy as it sounds, it was just so amazing to see a football size tumor being cut out of a patient and then looking at a slide and being able to classify it as a specific cancer. So cool!

Clinical immersion week gave a lot of meaning to my preparation for my exam: even though there are still tons more to learn, I HAVE learned quite a bit and it DOES have a profound patient application. That said, man I sure can't wait until this exam is over! I studied so much this week that I literally was eating tortilla chips towards the end because I didn't have time/energy to make a trip to the grocery store. Luckily today I was able to treat myself to a trip to stock up on food, after 8 hours of studying, that is. I planned ahead for the week and made a huge amount of soup and froze 4 containers; no tortilla chips this week unless it's a willing decision. :)

I feel really guilty about studying so much sometimes. Gosh, I'm sorry that I haven't been talking to my parents as much and that Mom's bday present didn't get there on time this year. And man, do I feel guilty for not being a better friend and keeping in better touch. Meredith, I'm sorry I haven't been calling more often! A lot of times it's not even that I'm studying continuously and pick up a phone, it's just that I am so focused on studying that I would have nothing to say if I called. I sure don't know how people go through medical school raising their own families!

I go through phases of feeling really prepared for the exam, realizing how much I've learned and then extreme phases of panic where I realize just how much I have left to learn. I hope that I can stay calm and collected with my studying: focus on important concepts and think logically; don't just memorize things that don't mean anything. Hopefully I can stick to the plan and do well! 4 hr exam on Thursday, 6 hours of exams on Friday... Friday at 5pm will feel amazing!

No comments: